Here's your chance to become part of the reference genome for South Asia.
help us understand the genetics of South Asia. For your contribution we give you a free dna ancestry test!
Advancements in the field of genomics have made it possible to design prevention and treatment strategies based on individual variability. Thanks to these advances, personalized medicine has become a reality for the developed world.
Unfortunately, for most countries of South Asia, personalized medicine is still just a dream and will remain a dream if we do not act NOW.
Even though South Asia (Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Bhutan, India, Maldives, Nepal, Pakistan, Sri Lanka) is divided by geographical and political borders, we all share the same ancestors. We have been vastly been under-represented when it comes to large scale genetic studies. Relatively less is known about the genetic defects underlying diseases affecting South Asian population as compared to any other developed country in the world. We can make all of this happen and set the stage for South Asia focused personalized genomics.
How can i help?
To start with, we need to generate a reference genetic profile representing different ancestral groups of South Asia. This reference panel will form the basis of all further efforts to fine-map the genetic diversity of South Asia. It turns out that our mother-tongue is a good indicator of our lineage.
YouGenomics India is inviting USA residents from Bangladesh, India, Nepal, Pakistan and Sri Lanka to donate their saliva and help us lay the foundation of South Asian personalized genomics. Donor saliva will be used to perform ultra-low coverage whole genome sequencing. Resulting data from all donors will be collectively used to build a reference genotype panel representing different population sub-groups of South Asia.
WHY SHOULD I DONATE MY SALIVA?
- Your donation will make it possible for the present and future generations of South Asia realize the dream of personalized medicine.
- We will sequence your genome using ultra-low coverage assay for free!
- You will own your data and can download in the BAM format. Share and compare it with your family/friends or participate in other studies or learn to analyze genomic data yourself. You can use our tools to do some of the cool stuff (coming soon). Once you receive your ancestry results in the Seeq smartphone app contact me to get a download link to your BAM file.
- Know your Ancestry - which part of the world your ancestors came from. This information will be based on the current knowledge of genetics of South Asian population.
- Updates - the more individuals we sequence the more we will learn about the genetic signatures of South Asian sub-populations. Every time we update our reference panel your ancestry results will be updated. Check the FAQ for an example.
- Know your Oral microbiome - what microorganisms live in your oral cavity?
JOIN TODAY AND ORDER YOUR FREE DNA Ancestry TEST!
YouGenomics India has partnered with Seeq, a company founded by world leading scientists at the New York Genome Center. Seeq's revolutionary ultra-low coverage sequencing assay on the Illumina platform will be used to sequence and profile your genome. Visit seeq.io to learn more about the technology.
Fill out the form below to start the registration process.
We are currently only accepting USA residents from bangladesh, India, Nepal, Pakistan and SRI lanka.
(Availability for more South Asian countries soon!)
Check back for further updates!!